The Clerk of Court is an elected official who serves a four (4) year term. The Clerk of Court serves both the Circuit Court and the Family Court and is responsible for the collection of fees, fines and costs, and maintenance of all court records. Circuit Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) cases. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court and the collection and disbursement of court ordered child support and/or alimony payments, issuance of Rules to Show Cause to bring non-paying obligors before the Family Court and filing of Orders of Protection.
What this Office Does:
• Maintain records of cases heard in the Court of Common Pleas involving civil disputes between two or more parties;
• Maintain records of criminal cases heard in the General Sessions Court;
• Schedule Civil Jury and Non-Jury Trials;
• Maintain records of Family Court including juvenile, domestic relations, child support, interstate custody, abuse and neglect, termination of parental rights orders of protection, adoption and Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act cases;
• Prepare and mail juror summons and processes juror payments;
• Screen, collect fees and appoint Public Defenders for those who qualify;
• Receive, review and record real estate documents to include, deeds, plats, mortgages as well as liens, judgments powers of attorney, etc.;
• Receive and disburse child support payments;
• Collect fines and fees from the General Sessions Court.
This Office Does Not:
• Give legal advice (For attorney information call Legal Services at 1-800-922-3114; SC Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program (888) 346-5562;
• Research real property for legal claim;
• Accept payments for County property taxes (See Treasurer);
• Accept payments for Traffic Tickets (See Magistrate/Municipal Courts);
• Process Passport Applications (Go to local Post Office);
• Issue Marriage License (See Probate Court);
• Maintain Birth/Death records (See SCDHEC.GOV/VR/).
Register of Deeds: www.laurensdeeds.com
Court Records (Criminal/Civil): www.sccourts.org